Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sharing nutrition

I've been blessed with an abundance of breastmilk since I first started nursing Jacob. I've been able to pump 2-3oz easily whenever I pumped, and from my reading I've found that 1-2oz is considered 'normal.'

So, when I started getting engorged from overproduction a couple days ago, it occured to me that I might try looking for the group I'd heard of that let mothers donate their breastmilk directly to other mothers in need.

After some searching, I found the Yahoo! group MilkShare. When I posted that I was in central Oklahoma and looking to donate breastmilk, I got four inquiries right off the bat.

I feel guilty that I can't express enough milk to feed all four of the babies that the mothers are seeking milk for, but I am comforting myself with the knowledge that I CAN help one or two, and that eventually the other mothers will find a donor for their babies.

It has made my nursing experiences the last few days much more intense, looking down at my son and feeling so grateful for the ability to nourish him this way, and to know that I am able to help nourish other babies with the best nutrition on earth for them.

If you're a nursing mother with a little extra milk on hand, I definitely encourage you to consider joining MilkShare and offering to give some of your expressed breastmilk to another mom who may be desperate to provide the best for her baby but be unable to do so on her own.

I'm going to go nurse my son to sleep now. Thank God for being such an effective "milk cow."