Friday, June 5, 2009

Pure cream

I know Jacob was growing by leaps and bounds, but today I've found out that my breasts apparently produce pure double-Devon clotted cream. My nine-week-old son weighed in at 17lb 3oz and is 25 1/4" long at his two-month Well Baby Check today.

On the one hand, I'm delighted that my son is growing so well and thriving. On the other hand, I'm a little saddened that he isn't staying a "tiny newborn" for very long.

Jacob also got two vaccinations today. So far, he has had a minimal reaction... been a bit fussy, but mostly he's spent the day sleeping, waking to nurse and have a cuddle then drift back to sleep.

I know a lot of "crunchy" parents forgo vaccinations, and I debated it... but I honestly feel the danger of vaccinations is minimal compared to the dangers of him getting a disease and not being able to fight it off. Plus, due to my SLE, if he has a rather nasty infection, I may not be able to care for him as well as I'd like. And even though we're not planning on using public school now, that might change as he gets older, and I'd like him to be protected before spending time with what I lovingly call "tiny germ factories."

I did concede to a more drawn-out vaccination schedule; we're using Dr. Sears' schedule in the hopes that it will minimize the stress on his system, not having so many vaccinations grouped together.

Amazing how many choices we have to make as parents, so many roads we aren't sure are the right road, or even a good road, let alone 'right' or 'wrong.' If this job weren't one of the most rewarding possible, no one would do it.