Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Getting it done

One nice thing about being a mother, I've discovered, is that even when I feel completely exhausted or utterly lazy, I can get things done because they need to be gotten done. I can't put off doing the diaper laundry simply because I'd rather sit on the couch and read - we have to have something to put on his bottom if we're not planning on being super-vigilant and concentrating 100% on EC.

That's not to say I don't take it easy. I am still enjoying spending lots of uninterrupted time with Jacob, getting to know his unique personality. I am finding that he has a wonderfully horrible combination of both my and Chris' bull-headedness. When he doesn't want something, he fights it with every ounce of strength in his tiny body. And if he DOES want something, he goes for it whole-heartedly.

I am glad we'll be working on doing both Montessori and unschooling with him, because I think in a traditional educational setting, he'd be a nightmare child.

Thinking over what I've written so far, I am vaguely amazed at myself. My goal was never to be a stay-at-home mom. I'd never made a strong and fast goal, other than being published someday, but I had always assumed worked out of the house would be in my future. Chris and I both intend for me to do a little part-time work once Jacob is around five to six months old, but we are both very aware that it will be extremely part-time - probably not even 20hr a week - and that once I get hugely pregnant with our second, I will be leaving work probably for the forseeable future.

With any luck, I will be able to write from home at that point, but I won't expect that outcome. He and I just know that we want the absolute best for our kids, and the absolute best is mommy being at home and accessable to them. And somehow, I'm okay with that future. Interesting how things change, isn't it?