Saturday, November 28, 2009

Things to memorize

We co-sleep, which works out wonderfully for me when the baby needs to nap. It gives the Lupus-wearied mommy a chance to lay down and nap, too.

So a couple days ago, we were settling in for a nap and I was stroking my hand over his head as he dozed, and I suddenly felt like that was a moment to memorize. I wanted to remember how silky his hair was beneath my fingertips, how cool to the touch it was at the top of his head where it's thickest. I wanted to remember the feel of his tiny toes pressing into my lower abdomen, and the way he huffled in his sleep.

I know there's no way to memorize these perfect, precious moments, but sometimes I wish I could take a mental video of the sounds, smells, touch, and emotions in little moments like that, so I could bring them out and enjoy them thirty years from now when he's an adult with a family of his own.