Friday, November 20, 2009

Mobility

We have started the very serious work of figuring out what is low enough for a mobile baby to get into and damage himself. I'm trying to decide which cabinets should be strictly off-limits and which cabinets I won't mind him getting into, or which cabinets are safe for him to get into.

We've also started covering light-sockets and putting cords in cord protectors.

I'm not much for limiting his movement and his exploration; at this age, exploration is all. He will learn so much about his world by being allowed to be a part of it, rather than closing him away from things in a playpen or behind a gate.

Does this mean we'll never use a baby gate? Probably not. There will be times when I simply cannot devote my attention to him safely, and will need to therefore put him somewhere safe from harm. But for the most part, he will be allowed much of the same freedom of movement that we are allowed.

I'm also looking into non-tipping dog water bowls, since our current bowl for the dogs seems to fall down quite nicely with just a little pressure on one edge.

Why all this sudden industry?