Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cheese-less

Things I never thought I'd have to deal with in my life... blood in the baby's poop. For one, I never thought I'd have children. Having had one, I never thought I'd have to endure something as shocking and disturbing as blood in his stool. Well, surprise, life says.

Until we can get a stool sample to take to a lab and then get the results back, I am having to go dairy- and egg-free. This is hard for me, because I have two big addictions in my life: cheese and chocolate. Even when contemplating living a healthier life, I always said I would do anything but give up cheese and chocolate. Well, now I'm having to face exactly what I swore I'd never do.

I'm researching dairy-free alternatives to cheese... and cringing. I'm not much a fan of soy-based products. I suppose, though, if I want to eat nachos and sprinkle cheese on my salads, I'll have to suck it up and accept less-than-stellar cheese-like products.

As for chocolate... I tend to prefer darker chocolates anyway, and the blood in his stool has never been shockingly thick, so I think a little dark chocolate now and again won't be a deal breaker.

Here's hoping this clears up soon... and that I find a reasonable (and reasonably tasty) alternative to cheese.